11am - 4pm
15 Nov 2014
Ashling Hotel, Parkgate Street, Dublin 8 (near Heuston Station),
A National Parents Council Primary conference for parents who wanted to know more about Special Education.
Speakers included experts in the area of special education, speech and language, occupational therapy and psychological services:
- Mary Byrne, Head of Special Education, National Council for Special Education (NCSE) "The proposed new model for resource, a guide for parents"
- Jim Mulkerrins, Principal Officer, Special Education Section, Department of Education and Skills "Today and for the future - the Department's plan for special education provision"
- Dorothy Armstrong, Lecturer in Occupational Therapy at NUIG "Stress management and strategies for managing anxiety in children"
- Patricia Curtis, Speech and Language Therapist "Introduction to communication development"
- Richard Egan, Education Psychologist with the National Education Psychological Service (NEPS) "NEPS - the link between home and school"
Information stands from the following were available on the day
- Sharing the Journey - Supporting parents and families of d/Deaf and hard of hearing children
- National Council for Curriculum and Assessment (NCCA) - Junior Cycle
- National Council for Special Education (NCSE)
- Special Needs Parents Association
- Dyslexia Association Ireland
- Down Syndrome Ireland
- National Council for the Blind of Ireland (NCBI)
- Citizens Information
- Parents, Resources, Information and Support, Meeting needs (PRISM)
- Autism Spectrum Information Advice and Meeting Point (AS I AM)
- The Carers Association
- NPC - Helpline & Training