What supports are available for my child?

The psychologist has recommended access to an SNA to help support my child.

A Special Needs Assistant may be allocated to your child’s school to help your child with care or behavioural needs. As the assistant will be working closely with your child it is important that you have a good means of communication with them. This might be achieved by regular meetings /phone calls/ emails or a communication notebook or other means of regular written communication. This assistant will often work with a number of children in the school.

More information at http://ncse.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/NCSE-SNA-Scheme-Information-Pamphlet.FINALwebaccessibleversion.16.01.151.pdf

The psychologist has recommended the use of assistive technology

Specialist equipment such as laptops may be recommended in order for the child with special educational needs to access the curriculum.

More information at http://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Services/Grants-and-Additional-Support/Assistive-Technology-Grant/

The psychologist has recommended a specified amount of time with Resource Teacher etc.

Your child may be allocated a certain number of hours per week with a resource teacher. This will usually mean leaving the classroom and working either one to one or in a small group with a resource teacher. This teacher may have an extra qualification in the area of special needs but this is not a requirement. The teacher will work with the child to achieve the goals set out in their IEP or individualised plan.

If you are to work together with the school it is import that you know what they are doing with your child to support them. Therefore if you have not met your child’s resource teacher you should arrange to meet with them about once per term unless your child’s plan says something different. The resource teacher should also communicate regularly with the class teacher and SNA (where appropriate)

Click here for useful links for parents